Comforter or duvet? Which is the right choice for your bedroom decor? What is a duvet? We are all familiar with comforters, but duvets often leave us questioning what we are actually looking for.

Often the terms “comforter” and “duvet” are used interchangeably. However, there is a difference. A comforter is a fluffy bed cover often used in lieu of a blanket or quilt. A duvet serves the same or similar purpose.

So, What Is a Duvet?
What distinguishes a duvet is that it is filled with down. In fact the word “duvet” is derived from the word “down.”

There are ads for down alternative filled comforters. Unless there is a weight given to the comforter, in ounces and a number to describe the down fill power chances are the comforter is filled with synthetics or synthetic down.

*** Occasionally, in today’s market, the duvet is referred to as a down filled comforter. That is a duvet! The reason for the description being as it is reflects the lack of use of the word “duvet” in many parts of the country.

The duvet is filled with duck or goose down and is far more lofty or fluffy than a comforter. That has to do with the down fill power.

As shown in the picture ,the duvet is separated into square sections with each being filled with down. The reason for the seams and the square or diamond shape sections is to keep the down spread uniformly throughout the duvet. Without the sections all the down could settle at the bottom corner of the duvet.

Notice that the duvet appears quite fluffy and airy, unlike a comforter which appears more compact.

To find out more about waterproof mattress protector supplier information and our products , please visit our official blog: or Spring Hometextile website: you are a importer or wholesaler, please contact to get a quick feedback at:
Captcha Challenge
Reload Image